The Agénois Regiment was organized after 1771, taking the name of a province in southwestern France, formerly part of Guienne.
In 1779, the regiment sailed from the West Indies to America to participate in the Siege of Savannah. At Savannah, the regiment was commanded by its colonel commandant, Baron de Cadignan. On October 9, 1779, the regiment lost six officers and many of its enlisted soldiers in the strong French attack on the British fortifications. American forces also lost heavily in the failed attack.
In 1781, the regiment was commanded by the Comte d’Autichamp. The regiment’s 1st and 2nd battalions sailed from the West Indies to America, this time with the Gatinois and Touraine Regiments, under Major General the Marquis de Saint Simon. The Agénois Regiment, along with the other French regiments, marched from Williamsburg to Yorktown on September 28, 1781.
The regiment’s grenadier and chasseur companies took part in driving the British pickets along the French front back into Yorktown on October 3. The regiment participated in the fighting connected with the construction of the two parallels in front of the British defenses.
During the Siege of Yorktown, the Agénois Regiment was the third regiment from the left on the French front.
Some of the Agénois Regiment’s chasseur companies formed part of the center of the French column that assaulted and captured the British Redoubt No. 9 on the night of October 14-15, 1781.
Flag description: White Greek cross. The first and fourth cantons are divided into triangles by diagonals joining the outer edges of the cross. 1st canton, upper triangle, green, lower triangle, yellow; 2nd canton, purple. 3rd canton, purple. 4th canton, upper triangle, yellow, lower triangle, green.
The Régiment de Beaujolais was an infantry regiment of the line, created in 1674, during the reign of Louis XIV, King of France.
Actually, there were two regiments of the Royaume de France (Kingdom of France) that received the name « Régiment de Beaujolais », the name of the province where the regiment was raised.
The first Régiment de Boujolais was created June 16, 1685. It was an active regiment in the armies of Louis XIV and Louis XV until February 10, 1749 when it was incorporated into le Régiment de Traisnel.
The second Régiment de Boujolais resulted from the renaming of Régiment de Lastic in 1762, which was then renamed Régiment de Lamballe in 1765, and finally renamed Régiment de Beaujolais in 1768.
It was the second Régiment de Beaujolais that participated in combined operations with American forces in the siege of Savannah, Georgia in 1779, and the campaigns of New York and Yorktown in 1781.
The Régiment de Beaujolais was renamed the 74e Régiment d’infanterie de ligne on January 1, 1791.
Other regiments are: Champagne, Foix, Armagnac, Hainault, and Walsh. These regiments provided some forces for d’Estaing’s 1779 expedition to Savannah, but predominantly fought in the West Indies.
There were several cantonnements (garrison towns) of the Régiment de Beaujolais during its long history.
One cantonnement was Mont-Louis, a commune in the department of Pyrénées-Orientales, in the region of Occitanie. Mont-Louis is one of the monumental fortified regions in France created by the great military engineer Sébastien Le Prestre, marquis de Vauban, during the reign of Louis XIV.
Another cantonnement was Sélestat, a commune at the foot of the Vosges Mountains in the department of Bas-Rhin, in the region of Grand Est. Sélestat is in the French historic and cultural region of Alsace on the border with Germany.
The cantonnement of the 74e Régiment d’infanterie de ligne at the outbreak of la grande guerre in 1914 was Rouen, a commune in the northwest of France crossed by the River Seine, in the department of Seine-Maritime, in the region of Normandie.
The United States honors and remembers the names of the soldiers and sailors of France who gave their lives fighting for the independence of the United States in the American War of Independence.
|le Régiment d’Agénois The Agénois Regiment, commanded by Baron de Cadignan, suffered heavy casualties in d’Estaing’s unsuccessful assault at Savannah (1779). A detachment of the Agénois Regiment participated in the siege and capture of Pensacola in Florida by Spanish forces on May 26, 1781. Two battalions of the Agénois Regiment were among the forces under Saint-Simon that were brought from the West Indies to fight in the Battle of Yorktown (1781). Under its commander, Comte d’Autichamp, the regiment participated in the capture of British Redoubt Number Nine on October 14, 1781. After the Battle of Yorktown, the principal engagements of the Agénois Regiment in the Americas were the battles of St Christophe and Les Saintes. The Agénois Regiment also provided a detachment that participated in the capture of St. Kitts from the British on February 13, 1782. These are the names of 22 soldiers of le Régiment d’Agénois who gave their lives fighting for the independence of the United States in support of the Continental Army, commanded by General George Washington, during the American War of Independence.|
|Jean Aimont||Jacques Châtillon||François Marival||Laurent Nolly|
|Andre Allard||Antoine Cocq||Louis Martin||Jacques Papelard|
|Nicolas Angevaise||Yves David||Louis Menager||Louis Thevenin|
|Jan Baggage||Noel Fugenot||Nicolas Maret||Oger Verdavoir|
|Benoist Bouillot||François Guiboiseau||François Hursin|
|Nicholas Bourdin||Joseph Hautville||Pierre Lignot|
Lineage and Regimental Name Changes
• 15 novembre 1674 : creation of the Régiment de Schomberg from part of the militias of the Languedoc
• 4 janvier 1681 : renamed Régiment de Larray
• 1688 : renamed Régiment de Sceaux
• 6 septembre 1689 : renamed Régiment de Blainville
• 1690 : renamed Régiment de Maulevrier
• 1706 : renamed Régiment de Du Fort Lenormand
• 29 novembre 1710 : renamed Régiment de Lyonne
• 1er février 1723 : renamed Régiment de Montconseil
• 1742 : renamed Régiment de Traisnel
• 1749 : reinforced by incorporation of the Régiment de Beaujolais
• 1757 : renamed Régiment de Brancas
• 1758 : renamed Régiment de Durfort
• 1761 : renamed Régiment de Lastic
• 1762 : renamed Régiment de Beaujolais
• 1765 : renamed Régiment de Lamballe
• 1768 : renamed Régiment de Beaujolais
• 1er janvier 1791 : renamed 74e Régiment d’infanterie de ligne (74th Regiment of Infantry of the Line)
• 6 novembre 1794 : reformed when the 2e bataillon (2nd Batalion) of the 74e Régiment d’infanterie de ligne (74th Regiment of Infantry of the Line) was incorporated into the 138e Demi-brigade de bataille (138th Half-Brigade of Battle) during the formation of the half-brigade
• 21 décembre 1796 : reformed when the 1er bataillon (1st Batalion) of the 74e Régiment d’infanterie de ligne (74th Regiment of Infantry of the Line) was incorporated into the 70e Demi-brigade de bataille (70th Half-Brigade of Battle) during the formation of the half-brigade
Colonels et mestres de camp
Portrait de Frédéric de Schomberg, par Adriaen van der Werff.
Anne François de Lastic, marquis de Sieujac (1759-1785), colonel au régiment de Beaujolais
• 15 novembre 1674 : Frédéric Armand, comte de Schomberg, lieutenant général le 16 juin 1655, maréchal de France le 30 juillet 1675, † 11 juillet 1690
• Schomberg, fils du précédent
• 4 janvier 1681 : Louis de Lenet, marquis de Larray, brigadier le 24 mars 1684, maréchal de camp le 24 août 1688, lieutenant général le 30 mars 1693, † 11 mars 1698
• 6 septembre 1689 : Jules Armand Colbert, marquis de Blainville, brigadier le 30 mars 1693, maréchal de camp le 29 janvier 1702, lieutenant général le 19 juin 1702, † 13 août 1704
• 1690 : Maulevrier, † 1695
• 6 septembre 1695 : Henri de Colbert, chevalier de Maulevrier, frère du précédent, brigadier le 29 janvier 1702, maréchal de camp le 26 octobre 1704, lieutenant général le 29 mars 1710, † 25 août 1711
• 29 novembre 1710 : Charles Hugues, comte de Lionne, brigadier le 29 novembre 1710, † juin 1731
• 1er février 1723 : Étienne Louis Antoine Guinot, marquis de Montconseil, brigadier le 18 octobre 1734, maréchal de camp le 20 février 1743, lieutenant général le 1er janvier 1748
• 9 août 1742 : Claude Constant Esprit de Harville-Jouvenel des Ursins, marquis de Trainel, brigadier le 1er janvier
• 1748, maréchal de camp le 23 juillet 1756, lieutenant général des armées du roi le 25 juillet 1762, † 6 octobre 1794
• 1756 : comte de Brancas
• 1758 : comte de Durfort, brigadier le 20 février 1761
• 1761 : comte de Lastic, brigadier
• 20 mars 1774 : Henri Georges César de Chastellux, † 1814
• 5 février 1792 : François Xavier Jacob Freytag, † 1817
Campagnes et batailles
• 1734 : la Bataille de San Pietro
• Le 74e régiment d’infanterie de ligne participated in the campaigns of 1792 and 1793 with the l’armée du Nord, and in 1794 with the l’armée de l’Ouest.
The Régiment d’Agenois was a French infantry regiment created under the Ancien Régime in 1595. It participated in the American War of Independence.
The Régiment d’Agenois saw extensive service during the War of the Spanish Succession, being present at the Battle of Fridelingen (1702), the Battle of Blenheim (1704) and the Siege of Kehl (1707).
In March 1749 the regiment was merged into the Berry Regiment and ceased to exist as a separate unit. In 1776 however the Agenois Regiment was recreated from two battalions transferred from the Béarn Regiment.
The regiment, commanded by Baron de Cadignan, suffered heavy casualties in d’Estaing’s unsuccessful assault at Savannah (1779). A detachment of the Agenois Regiment participated in the siege and capture of Pensacola in Florida by Spanish forces on 26 May 1781. Two of its battalions were among forces brought from the West Indies to Yorktown (1781). Under its commander, Comte d’Autichamp, the regiment participated in the capture of a British redoubt on 14 October. Its principal engagements in that theatre also included St Christophe and Les Saintes. The regiment provided a detachment that participated in the capture of St. Kitts from the British on 13 February 1782.
In 1791 the Agenois lost its traditional title and was retitled the 16e Régiment d’Infanterie de Ligne. In 1794 all regular infantry regiments of the old Royal Army were amalgamated with newly raised volunteer battalions, thereby losing their former identity.
During the reign of Louis XV the original Agenois Regiment wore a grey-white coat with red cuffs and waistcoat. According to the 1776 dress regulations, the newly re-established regiment wore the usual off-white uniform of the French line infantry with light red (effectively pink) lapels and cuffs and green collars. Buttons were of white (silver or pewter) metal. By the eve of the French Revolution (1789) their facing colour had been changed to a deep shade of purple.